According to Facebook, we are living in a “video first” world, where Social Video will soon be at the heart of everything.
If you are a marketer wanting to reach consumers with video then listen up!
In this post I share 10 statistics that will have you thinking VERY differently about how you approach your social video strategy.
The team at Animoto decided to take a deep dive into the world of social video. The aim was to find out what is working, what we are consuming and what type of videos we are making.
They quoted the shift to a “video first world”, a term coined my Mark Zuckerberg when he said this about video:
“Ten years ago, most of what we shared and consumed online was text. Now it’s photos, and soon most of it will be video. We see a world that is video first with video at the heart of all our apps and services.” – Mark Zuckerberg
If we are going to use social video effectively we need to understand more about it. Animoto did just that by surveying 1000 consumers and 500 marketers to find out how video is having an impact in this age of social online video.
Now if you don't know the team at Animoto, they specialize in helping brands and businesses create custom, engaging videos that share your brand story (and convert). I am an afilliate for Animoto.. but only because I love using their tool to make videos in my own business and for clients… and I know you will too.
Like this one, that I created on Facebook, all about THIS blog post:
Suffice to say, Animoto knows a thing or two about video. So, back to the stats and infographic coming up.
For the purposes of their research, Animoto wanted to find out what consumers and marketers were actually doing with video. They asked:
- what consumers are watching and engaging with
- how marketers are reaching those audiences with video
Let's dive into their findings and take a look at what they mean for you as a business owner (and what you can start doing now!). Then we'll take a look at their infographic which sums it all up (and more).
Whichever way you look at it though.. these stats are about to make you think very differently about social video and rethink your video strategy:
What the consumers say about Social Video
Here are just a few of the statistics from Animoto's research that will make you think differently about social video:
#1. 64% of consumers say that that watching a marketing video on Facebook has influenced a purchasing decision.
#2. 39% of consumers are more likely to finish videos with subtitles. [clickToTweet tweet=”39% of consumers are more likely to finish videos with subtitles https://sociallysorted.com.au/social-video-statistics” quote=”39% of consumers are more likely to finish videos with subtitles – Animoto” theme=”style2″]
#3. 85% of Facebook Video is watched with the sound off. [clickToTweet tweet=”85% of Facebook Video is watched with the sound off – Digiday http://bit.ly/social-video-stats” quote=”85% of Facebook Video is watched with the sound off – Digiday” theme=”style2″]
#4. 52% of consumers prefer pre-recorded video content, while 48% prefer live video content.
#5. Consumers are most likely to:
- “Like” Behind-the-Scenes Videos,
- “Like and Share” Funny videos
- “Share” Educational Videos
- “Like and Share” emotional videos.
#6. 73% of Consumers are deciding in less than 30 seconds if they will watch to the end of the video (43% decide in less than 15 seconds!).
What the Marketers say about Social Video
#7. 51% of Marketers use Closed Captions most of the time or always on their videos. [clickToTweet tweet=”51% of marketers use closed captions in their videos http://bitly.com/social-video-stats” quote=”51% of marketers use closed captions in their videos – Animoto.” theme=”style2″]
#8. Marketers feel the most confident about reaching customers with video on Facebook and YouTube. Consumers are still viewing on these platforms, but are also starting to expand the platforms where they’re watching branded video content. The top three channels they’re watching videos from brands are Facebook, Instagram Stories, and Snapchat.
#9. 39% of Marketers are creating Square and/or vertical videos. [clickToTweet tweet=”39% of marketers are creating square or vertical videos www.bitly.com/social-video-stats” quote=”39% of marketers are creating square or vertical videos ” theme=”style2″]
#10. 81% of Marketers are optimizing their Social Videos for mobile.
Like these stats? There are plenty more to go with them. Check out the infographic below by Animoto which includes more of their findings:
The State of Social Video – Infographic
What this means for you (a short list of action tasks)
There's a lot to take in from Animoto's research and infographic. Let's break it down into just 5 simple actions that you can start doing now to take advantage of this insight:
- Create live video or create pre-recorded video – either way, start creating video. The reality is that the type of video preferred by consumers is evenly split, so don't stress about which one you do or even stress about doing both just yet – just get started with it. A good place to start is pre-recorded video if you are not confident in going live just yet.
- Consider closed captions for your videos, especially on Facebook. As Animoto says – “marketers need to start thinking about how to reach consumers … in silence”, because they are watching videos with the sound off.
- Create Square Video. Viewers are watching a lot of square video on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Square video also occupies more real estate on the newsfeed.
- Expand Your Video Content beyond YouTube. Consider Facebook, Instagram Stories or Snapchat as this is where consumers are also consuming video content. Not sure where to start? Start where your audience is hanging out the most and where you feel most comfortable.
- Create behind-the-scenes, educational, funny and/or emotional videos as part of your social video strategy. Don't just talk about your brand.
Want more action tasks? Go back to the infographic above and you'll get instant ideas!
Ready to Get Started with Social Video?
A great place to start creating videos easily and quickly is Animoto's new Marketing Builder Tool.
It can save you hours and a lot of money from having to outsource your video content….Give Animoto a test run here.
Did these stats change your thoughts about video and what you will create next?
Let me know in the comments below.
* This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to upgrade to a paid account on with Animoto using my link, I will receive a commission. I only promote brands, services and tools that create kick-butt helpful content, resources and offers for my community.
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- 23 Easy Instagram Post Ideas that Will Boost Your Engagement - December 2, 2019
- December Social Media Ideas – Videos, GIFs and More - November 29, 2019
- 9 Cool Black Friday Software Deals for Marketers - November 27, 2019