Looking for awesome September social media ideas? I’ve got them for you in bucketloads in this post. This post is filled with Social Media Holidays for the entire month of September. Get prepped with social media video ideas, GIFs and more for you!
BY DONNA MORITZ | PUBLISHED AUGUST 12, 2019
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This blog post is full of popular, national and international holidays for the entire month of September. It also includes weird and wacky (and unusual) days of celebration for September. There are over 60+ different ideas in this post to keep you inspired.
So now you have loads of calendar ideas for September, we’ve also included weekly and monthly holidays too. I’ve also included tools and ideas for you to come back to at any time.
What’s Included with Your September Social Media Ideas
What to expect in this post full of September Social Media Ideas:
- a handy reference guide (Plus Infographic) so you can easily grab social media holidays for the month of September.
- an overview of a September social media ideas. We’ve included ideas for what to create and how to share the content in this post. Take note that this is focused mainly on social video and GIFs. However, many of the ideas can also be used for image posts too!
- bonus (and awesome) tools and resources to help you to create visuals for dozens of Social Media Holidays. #AllTheHolidays! Our Social Media Content Calendar has got your back.
Check out the other monthly social media ideas posts in this series:
- 60+ February Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ March Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ April Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ May Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ June Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ July Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ August Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
Tips for Prepping Your September Content Quickly
Creating content can take a lot of time, but scheduling content ahead can really help you to streamline the process. Do just a few of these things and it will make it soooo much easier for you to get your content strategy cranking.
Let’s get a whole month’s worth of content ready – created, scheduled, and prepped for you to post, in a snap. Here’s my tips for doing just that, especially related to creating video.
- Use templates to save time: Many Visual Design tools include templates to help you get started. Of course you can design content from scratch yourself, but for non-designers, this could take hours. It’s much easier to use a design template that a designer has created to save you time. Then you just have to edit it and customize it. Choose 1 or 2 things to edit such as the text, imagery/photo/background video, colors or fonts. Don’t change too many elements or you can easily ruin the design.
- Use batch creation. If you sit down and create one video or image or GIF… create more than one! Your time can be used so much more efficiently when you create content in batches. Don’t do it one by one. Once you open up the DIY design tools, make the most of it.
- Create social video for your primary social networks– start with short, social videos – 15-30 seconds is more than enough time for most social videos, to start with. Once you get the hang of it, switch it up to longer videos or YouTube length long-format video. Start simply.
- Create content that your audience loves to consume.Think about what they love to share and engage with. It could be questions, quotes, handy tips or how-to videos. Or maybe some fun, observational humour.
- Use GIFs to add personality to your posts – You can find GIFs from Giphy’s huge library of GIFs or create your own. GIFs are great for adding to social media posts, emails, messages or blog posts. They add humour and personality to your storytelling.. and they are fun! Be sure to share any Giphy GIFs directly from Giphy. It gives credit and views to the creator.
Quick Guide Infographic to September Social Media Ideas & Holidays
Use our quick reference guide to September Social Media Holidays. Share it now or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Want our full 2019 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
How to use this post of September Social Media Ideas
- Create social media videos about the holiday in question – You can do a Top-5 list, show behind the scenes content (related to one of the holidays) or create a a how-to video, craft tutorials, or quote videos. You’re only limited by your creativity. Is it World Tourism Day? Do a video about tips for travel. Use one of the video tools below to help you!
- Create fun GIFs that reflect the holiday you’re posting about. Or share a GIF direct from the library in Giphy
- Create some images based around the holiday – create a quote, or a saying, a meme. Add a tip or photo that reflects the celebration day or image with text overlay.
Please note that this post focuses mainly on social video, GIFs and animations. But you can easily use this information to create images too. Get creative.
Also check out the tools and tips below for creating September content. Let’s jump in!
September Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Days
You’ll see included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in the September social media ideas and holidays. There are also hashtags, tips tools, and resources for creating visual content for this month, this year and next.
1. National No Rhyme (nor Reason) Day – an obscure day to start September with. This day is all about words in the English language which do not rhyme with any other words. It also refers to anything that occurs without any purpose or explanation.
It’s also Father’s Day in Australia. Happy Dad’s Day to all the Dads!
2. Labor Day – Today is Labor Day in the US and Canada – to pay tribute to all the hard-working people in vital roles in our society. Use the hashtag #LaborDay. It’s also World Coconut Day.
3. Skyscraper Day – A day to celebrate the tallest of tall buildings around the world. Travelled and visited any cool skyscrapers lately? Maybe today is a good day to post about it as part of your September Social Media Ideas.
4. National Macadamia Nut Day – One of the most well-loved nuts around the world.. the humble macadamia is perfect in everything from salads to desserts. If you’re nuts about nuts, then post about nuts today! We love them in Australia. Fun Fact: Macadamias are native to Australia and Hawaii.
5. International Day of Charity – today is all about your favourite Not-for-profit or social enterprise. Find out more about it on the official UN website here. Use the hashtag #InternationalDayOfCharity or #CharityDay.
It’s also Be Late for Something Day. People who love to be punctual need not apply, but maybe it’s a day to just chill and not be so rigid! #BeLateForSomethingDay
6. Read a Book Day- Today is the perfect day to talk about books, reading, authors and everything “Books”. Or about taking time out for self care and reading your favourite book! Use the hashtag #ReadABookDay.
7. Salami Day- If you’re a meat lover or a pizza lover then today is the day to talk about it. Salami is a fermented, cured (then air-dried) sausage that is popular in Mediterranean countries. And it’s great on pizza. Find out more on the website for Salami Day.
It’s also World Beard Day, so it’s all about the bearded. It’s held on the first Saturday of September every year. Check out this website for beard-like activities to celebrate.
8. International Literacy Day – Use the hashtag #LiteracyDay and check out the UN website for more information. This day is all about highlighting world literacy rates, and reflecting on the importance of literacy and the challenges we face with literacy in some parts of the world.
For fun, it’s also National Ampersand Day (so celebrate the humble &). Find out more here. Fun Fact: the Ampersand used to be the last letter of the alphabet and the word “ampersand” is a slurring of “real words” run together over time.
9. National Boss/Employee Exchange Day – Today is a chance for employees and managers to change places and see how the other half works. Held on the Monday after Labour Day.
And if you love Sudoku Puzzles then get ready to have fun with your September social media ideas on International Sudoku Day. Held annually on September 9th.
10. Swap Ideas Day – It’s a day to share ideas, barter your products or exchange and different perspectives. Held annually on September 10 #SwapIdeasDay.
It’s also World Suicide Prevention Day – an initiative of the World Health Organisation. It’s confronting to think that a person dies every 40 seconds worldwide from suicide. Over 800,000 people, so consider sharing some attention for this cause on your social channels on September 10th.
11. National Day of Service & Remembrance – today is about remembering a day that changed the world forever – 9/11 and the lives lost. Use the hashtag #911Day.
Oh and it’s also Make Your Bed Day. If you’re looking to post about somethign related to business, maybe a post about the productivity benefits of making your bed is in order.
Or talk about how frustrating it can be to fold a fitted sheet and provide the solution!
12. National Video Games Day – Today is all about video games – love them or hate them, it’s highly likely some of your audience plays them. use the hashtag #videogamesday.
It’s also National Day of Encouragement #DayofEncouragement. Post content about lifting others up around us. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. Post an encouraging image or GIF or share motivational GIFs on comments to your audience.
13. Friday 13th – Black cats, superstitions … or maybe good luck (depending on your view of it). Friday 13th has plenty of opportunities for content.
It’s also Positive Thinking Day – a great day for sharing positive, motivational quotes with your audience. Or maybe a message of encouragement or positivity. Think #PositiveThoughts. Or just share the happy vibes:
14. National Cream-Filled Donut Day – Need we say more? Any donut is good, but creme-filled… even better. And let’s face it, donut quotes, memes videos, and #AllTheDonutThings are the business.
15. Greenpeace Day – Greenpeace continues to support and preserve the Earth – ever since it was founded on September 15, 1971. That was the day that 17 activists set sail to stop nuclear testing about to take place on the shores of Alaska. Get creative with September social media ideas around the environment.
Create a video about saving the environment using one of Wave.video’s awesome video templates. Check it out here on their Calendar (search for 15 September) and look for this template:
It’s also Cheese Toast Day. Because who doesn’t love cheese toast.
16. National Play-Doh Day – Fun Fact: Play Doh was originally invented as a wallpaper cleaner by Joe McVicker but a second use was discovered for it – play! This is a well-loved toy the world over and today is the day to post about it. Here are a few fun facts to get you started.
Maybe share some weird and wacky play-doh creations, like in this video:
17. Constitution Day (US) – The American Constitution was signed on September 17, 1787. Constitution Day is therefore celebrated every year on the 17th in September – to recognize the day that the United States Constitution was adopted.
18. National Cheeseburger Day – Who doesn’t love a great burger with cheese? Every year Americans eat 50 billion cheeseburgers. That’s 3 burgers per week per person. The humble cheeseburger was trademarked by Louis Ballast of the Humpty Dumpty Drive-in, in Denver, Colorado, 1935. Use the hashtag #nationalcheeseburgerday.
Wanna see a great cheeseburger made from scratch with real beef? Check this out (drool!).
The 18th is also the day that the profession of Chiropractic was founded – Chiropractic Founder’s Day is celebrated on September 18th every year. It’s the date that D.D. Palmer conducted the first chiropractic adjustment in Davenport, Iowa in 1895. It’s now the world’s largest drug-free non-surgical health profession.
19. Talk Like a Pirate Day – If you feel like talking like aaaarrrgh Pirate, today is the day. Use the hashtag #TalkLikeAPirateDay if you’re run out of September social media ideas and want to post about Pirates!
20. International Grenache Day – Did somebody say red wine? Yes, it’s another red-wine appreciation day, and this time it’s all about Grenache. Held annually on September 20th, Grenache Day is a good day to post content about wine.
21. International Day of Peace – Use the hashtag #PeaceDay and find out more on the official United Nations website here. This day is all about humanity committing to Peace and building a culture of peace, above all of our differences.
There are plenty of cool “Peace” themed GIFs on Giphy. Share them in your posts and comments, like this one by Stefanie Shank:
22. Hobbit Day – J.R.R. Tolkien fans rejoice. Today is all about the humble Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Why the 22nd? Because it’s the birthday of two of Tolkien’s major characters – Bilbo Baggins and Frodo Baggins. Use the hashtag #HobbitDay
It’s also White Chocolate Day, so if you’re a chocolate lover, dig in! Or maybe ask your audience which pure chocolate flavour they like best – milk/dark, white or the recently discovered ruby red chocolate. Surely it’s cheesecake day too right? No… ok well let’s just merge cheesecake with white chocolate, anyway:
September 22nd is also World Car Free Day. Today is the day to encourage your audience to go car-free. Take the train, tram, bus .. or ride a bike from A to B and reduce air emissions together.
And don’t forget the Rhinos. It’s World Rhino Day too.
23. National Family Day – Spend time with your family today. Ask your audience about their favourite way to spend family time together and share it in a post on Family Day. #FamilyDay
It’s also the International Day of Sign Language – celebrated on the 23rd September. Find out more on their UN website, here.
24. National Punctuation Day – All about Punctuation. Full Stop. But seriously, you can get creative with posts about writing and punctuation on this day – celebrated on the 24th September annually.
25. National One-Hit Wonder Day – We’ve all loved a one-hit wonder at some stage of our life. Share your favourites or ask your audience to share theirs! Here are a few one-time hits.
26. European Day of Languages – Use the hashtag #EDL2019. In Europe, over 800 million people are represented by the Council of Europe’s 47 member states. They are all encouraged to learn more languages at any age (as part of their studies or alongside their studies). This day has been celebrated since 2001 on 26th September.
27. World Tourism Day – I’m a big fan of tourism – as a traveller to 34 countries and a speaker and consultant to the Tourism Industry. So of course I had to include World Tourism Day in this list of September Social Media Ideas and Holidays. Check out the official UN website here. As they say, over the last 6 decades, tourism has expanded and diversified exponentially.
Tourism is one of the fastest-growing economic sectors in the world, impacting destinations and communities worldwide. Fun fact: the number of international tourist arrivals has grown from 25 million in 1950 to 1.3 billion today. And with China building 100 airports at the moment, that is going to grow a lot in future years.
Use the hashtag #WTD2019 to celebrate World Tourism Day.
It’s also Save the Koala Day in Australia. Check out the website here to help celebrate and protect our furry friends.
28. Confucius’ Birthday – Confucius say… celebrate his birthday with a post of witty philosophy. Confucius was a Chinese philosopher and politician, born in 551 BC on this day. His philosophy is referred to as Confucianism and is based around justice, social relationships, and sincerity. There are plenty of posts on the web to source some great Confucianisms!
Can you relate to this Confucius Quote? Feel free to share it. (Video made in minutes with Wave.video).
Need more September social media ideas for this day? Try Ask a Stupid Question Day (use #AskAStupidQuestionDay) and World Rabies Day (#WorldRabiesDay) – check out the WHO website for more info. It’s also National Good Neighbor Day in the US (not to be confused with Neighbour Day in Australia that is celebrated in March).
And for the Aussie football lovers, it’s AFL Grand Final Day in Australia. Not sure what all this AFL-business is? It stands for Australian Rules Football, and you might need to share a video to explain the rules! I grew up surrounded by this sport. It’s up there with Ice Hockey for me in terms of action!
29. World Heart Day – Today is about creating a global community of “Heart Heroes” – people from all walks of life who are acting now to live longer, better, heart-healthy lives. And to do this by making a promise to cook and eat more healthily, exercise with our families and keep active, stay no to smoking, and for employers and employees to invest in healthy-heart workplaces. Find out more on the official World Hearth Day Website.
30. International Podcast Day – Podcasts are huge all over the world, as we crave audio content to consume while out and about, exercising or driving long commutes in our cars. So it makes sense that we have a day to celebrate them. That day is the 30th September, annual with International Podcast Day. Check out the website for ideas to celebrate Podcast Day.
PS Here are a few social media podcasts, I’m loving!
Got enough September social media ideas and holidays? If not, dive into the week-long and month-long holiday ideas that are listed below!
September Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Months
Use this list of September month-long holidays to create content:
- Save the Koala Month – Find out more here.
- Better Breakfast Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Child Passenger Safety Month
- Classical Music Month
- Happy Cat Month
- National Courtesy Month
- National Guide Dog Month
- National Mushroom Month… and National Potato Month!
- Suicide Prevention Month
- Read a New Book Month
September Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Weeks
Use this quick list of September weeks to find week-long social media ideas:
- International Week of the Deaf (last full week in September)
- National Indoor Plant Week (3rd week in September)
- Build a Better Image Week (19-25th September)
- National Dog Week, US (last full week in September)
- National Keep Kids Creative Week, US (last week in September)
Quick Tools for Easy Video:
Try this list of apps to help you create videos!
- Wave.video – This is one of my favourite video tools for creating eas social video. Wave has a huge library of videos, photos and audio libraries. See more about Wave here and get a 10% discount on any paid plan!
- Over – Over is an awesome mobile design app that includes a lot of cool video templates. It’s one of the best mobile apps out there – if you like creating visuals and video on your phone! It’s a paid app but you can access basic features and take it for a test run on a free version for as long as you like. And there are a lot of awesome templates and tools in the free version alone.
InShot – this is a fabulous app for creating videos. They have a Pro version with loads of extra filters, effects and stickers. You can also get started on InShot for free and there are more than enough features to get you started. Available on iOS, plus Android.
- Giphy – You can use Giphy in two ways. Create your own GIFs using video snippets or images. Or you can share GIFs from Giphy accounts. Find your favourite brand on Giphy or search on the topic you want to post about.
Want more Calendar Ideas?
You can see my full list of Social Media Holidays in this post:
What will you create for your monthly social media posts? Get started with this calendar!
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- 60+ October Social Media Ideas – Videos, GIFs and More - September 13, 2019
- 3 Types of Engaging Videos that Attract Massive Attention - September 5, 2019
- How to Use Pinterest Video – Create Video Pins Now! - August 23, 2019