I have been waiting to announce this for a while. Behind the scenes I have been one of the lucky ducks who got to play with an awesome graphic design tool before its launch this week.
It's called Canva, it's an Australian Startup, and they formally launched on 26th August, 2013.
Creating Your Own Images for Visual Content just got a whole lot easier.
I have said it before and I will say it again – there has been a massive shift to Visual Social Media, and Canva's CEO, Melanie Perkins shares my sentiment.
“Effective graphic design is now more important than ever for both brands and individuals, particularly with the rising popularity of visual social media” she says “Canva makes it easy to create your own unique visual content”.
To my mind Canva fills up my image-creation kit bag. Currently that kit bag contains awesome tools like PicMonkey and Instagram. Canva has already taken its place alongside these other tools as a game changer. With tools like this at our disposal, creating original images that drive traffic is now possible for everyone.
That includes You. Yes You. I know you are thinking “but I don't have a creative bone in my body”. Get over it. Trust me, with the right tool you do. You really do!
The Skinny on Canva
Canva is an Australian start up (winning!). Their team consists of a clever, creative bunch of people who earlier this year raised $3 million in seed funding from renowned technology investors to create the design platform. Canva allows anyone (not just designers) to create professional quality designs.
“Canva has re-imagined a world where design is simple, and every idea can be beautifully presented in print or online,” said Canva CEO Melanie Perkins. “Unlike traditional desktop design software, Canva is web-based and brings all the tools together in one place”.
Key Features of Canva
- It's simple, online and free to use – no expensive software to install.
- A library of more than 1 million photographs, images and fonts, including cut-out images and professional stock images.
- The ability to collaborate online with others in your team and share your images with friends, clients and co-workers.
- Option to upload your own images including logos, banners, icons and illustrations.
- Designers can earn money by contributing their own graphic elements and layouts to Canva.
- Canva's library is extensive with more than enough free design elements to create amazing designs. But for those that want more, premium elements can be purchased for just $1 per element.
Other reasons I love Canva:
- Got your own branding colours? You can add the matching colour code right into Canva to create branded images.
- You can create your own “blank canvas” using custom specifications.
- It saves your work as you go – so you can focus on creating great images.
- It is tablet-friendly – it works on your iPad as well as your laptop as well as your desktop
What Can You Create with Canva?
To see how Canva works (and what you can create with it), check out their promo video:
I have been having fun creating a number of images with Canva while it was in development mode. You may have seen some of them on my blog and social media sites…without realising it!
To run the program through its paces, I created this infographic. Our design team at Socially Sorted is known for creating fabulous infographics but I wanted to see what was possible when it was me that created the infographic ”¦..no photoshop or advanced tools. Just me and Canva. Check it out here. As a tool for creating infographics from scratch, I can see a lot of potential, so watch this space.
Want in on Canva?
Canva is being rolled out from this week to early-bird beta users – visit Canva here to get started with your account. Will you join me?
What do you think of Canva? Will you give it a test run? Tell me what you think in the comments below!
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- 5 Cool Video Effects to Create Engaging Video - October 12, 2019
- 60+ October Social Media Ideas – Videos, GIFs and More - September 13, 2019
- 3 Types of Engaging Videos that Attract Massive Attention - September 5, 2019