Here are 5 Videos that will make you stop and think about marketing, visual social media, your content and advertising in general.
These are the videos that made me turn my head lately and think about why I create content, how I create content and who it is for.
These videos are not super long and I hope you find them thought-provoking.
Oh and the first and last videos might shock you – for entirely different reasons!
1. BS Detector
Are you focusing on the right things in your marketing? Not likes, not your Klout Score, not the number of followers you have but whether your marketing efforts are achieving measurable results? Are the followers, likers, readers engaging with your content and wanting more from you – in the form of products and services? and how are you measuring it?
Warning: this video is somewhat “shocking”.
2. The Last Advertising agency on Earth
This video takes a look at the difference between:
- Out-bound Marketing (where communication is one-way, marketing goes out in a hit-and-miss fashion, and there is little focus on entertaining, educating or engaging the customer) to
- Inbound Marketing (where communication is two-way, interactive, engaging, entertaining and experiential, the customer comes to you, and the customer chooses what information they wish to receive).
The Last Advertising Agency on Earth is a marketing agency that has ignored the shift from outbound to inbound marketing:
Huge thanks to William Price, Global Manager (eMarketing) at South African Tourism for showing these first two videos at his recent presentation at the Social Media Tourism Symposium (he’s well worth following at @william_price)
3. Video is no longer an option, it’s go**amn mandatory
Think the shift to visual social media is just a fad? Think video is just a fad? Then think again! Using a collection of the most popular viral videos of 2012 and 2013, this video shows that “video” is no longer an option….that it’s mandatory, for any brand wanting to connect with today’s audiences. The power of storytelling, using video, is one of the best mediums for creating that connection:
4. Derren Brown – Subliminal Advertising
Derren Brown is dubbed as a “Psychological Illusionist” who combines magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship in order to seemingly predict and control human behaviour….only he is completely open about how his “tricks” work.
I wrote about him in this post and I wanted to share it again here, as this video will have you thinking about how we process the information around us, especially visual content. It makes you think about the power of imagery, branding, and how our business or personal brand is “seen”.
Can’t quite believe it? Click here to read my original post and watch the first video to see the experiment repeated. Prepare to be amazed at the power of a visual imagery…..again.
Do you believe, after watching these videos that we should be thinking about how we are being “seen” – by being prolific cross a number of platforms (online and offline) and going where our readers/fans/likers/followers are hanging out to share our message. The concept of “being everywhere” suddenly sounds more important than ever when it comes to creating presence, either consciously or unconsciously in the minds of your potential customers! Get yourself out there!
5. Amazing Mindreader reveals his “gift”.
What can I say. This video is rather shocking for a whole different reason to video 1. You really should watch it. And then go and check your privacy settings. Just sayin’.
Which video resonated with you the most? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below, and be sure to leave a link to your favourite marketing/social media video!
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- 60+ February Social Media Ideas – Video Ideas, GIFs and more! - January 15, 2019
- Awesome Social Media Content Calendar for 2019 Holidays [Infographic] - January 1, 2019
- 15 Reasons Why Instagram Stories Need to be at the Heart of Your Social Strategy - December 23, 2018