2013 was a great year – It was the year that this blog pivoted to be about Visual Social Media.
Some of these posts you may have seen, some not, but they are all packed with great tips, how-to examples and instantly actionable advice.
Oh, and there are lots of images and infographics too. Enjoy.
When looking through our posts from 2013 it is obvious that the majority of the posts are about Visual Social Media, including:
- how to use images and visuals to get noticed, get more shares and drive traffic to your products and services.
- strategy across social media platforms (including Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and, well, let’s face it…they are all visual now, even LinkedIn and Twitter).
- infographics, infographics, infographics. Our team produces inforgraphics for some of the most exciting businesses and bloggers in the world. In this post we feature some of those infographics, and also some great ones that we find on our blog.
I pivoted our blog partly because it was what our team loves doing – creating and talking about visual social media and partly because you keep loving the posts about it. It was a win win for all of us all!
That doesn’t mean to say that I don’t still love posting about marketing and social media and content strategy in general here at Socially Sorted. But it does mean that visual social media is woven through just about everything we do here, as we truly believe that if you understand the “visual web” and leverage the power of visuals, you are going to get more reach, referrals and results in your content strategy, in your social media and in your marketing.
Leveraging Visual Social Media is a bit like viewing social media with your 3D glasses on. Without them, it’s a little bit, well, meh. With them on….BOOM!
So, let’s do it. Here are the top 20 Visual Social Media posts from our blog in 2013….in no particular order. Enjoy!
- 7 Superpowers of a Knockout Infographic – How to Get More Shares and Drive Traffic – One of the most comprehensive guides about how to create an infographic – including an infographic (of course!).
- Twitter Gets Visual – 3 Image Mistakes You are Making on Twitter – 3 simple mistakes (and how to fix them) so that you can take advantage of Twitter becoming more “visual”.
- Pinterest Now 2nd Largest Driver of Traffic – and What This Means For Your Business -Pinterest becoming the 2nd largest traffic driver of social media sites means more than you know…and it may mean that action is happening on your website without you even knowing it. It’s time to get “in the know” and “in the money” about Pinterest! This post is packed full of tips to help you leverage the power of Pinterest to find out what your community loves, what they are sharing and start to get clever about how you use that information!
- Pinterest Image Cheat Sheet – and the 3 Important Image Tips You Need to Know [Infographic] – a very handy cheat sheet for Image sizes on Pinterest (and a few tips to go with it!).
- Slideshare and YouTube: The Secret to Massive Twitter and Pinterest Exposure – with SlideShare being massive and YouTube being massive it is surprising how few people connect the dots and feature videos and SlideShare presentations on Pinterest and Twitter…but you should be. This post shows you why and how.
- Instagram for Business – 4 Words You Need to Know – this post was popular because of the simplicity of its message – there are particular nuances about Instagram that you need to understand to make it work if you are using it for business as well as pleasure. These simple tips will have you using it the right way from the start!
- Need More Clicks on Your Images? 3 Ways to “Dangle the Carrot” – one of my favourite topics – how to use images to tease your ideal audience into taking action with you. How to Dangle the Carrot. Enjoy .
- 5 Ways to Visually Enhance Your LinkedIn Profile using Professional Portfolio – this article was one that sparked a lot of interest because so few people know about how to use the Professional Portfolio function on LinkedIn – when it is such a great way to stand out from the crowd and have your content seen ….by featuring visual content.
- Why You Must Tweet More Images and Other Awesome Twitter Facts [Infographic] – this post features a handy infographic packed full of great Twitter stats that will surprise you (and having you think about using images more on Twitter!).
- 5 Reasons You Are Not Making Money from Pinterest – If your business has a website, you have the potential to be making money from Pinterest – whether you have a Pinterest account or not. This post shows you 5 mistakes you could be making on your website that is preventing your ideal audience from sharing your content on Pinterest (ie 5 mistakes that are preventing people from seeing and buying your products and services!).
- How to Drive Traffic with a Clickable Facebook Timeline Cover Photo – this is such a simple concept that can be added to your Facebook page to start driving more clicks. Adding a call to action to your Cover Photo is simple, easy and so very darn effective!
- The Science of Pricing [Infographic of the Week] – one of our favourite infographics produced by the Socially Sorted team in 2013 for Mauro D’Andrea from Blog Growth – this post breaks it down and talks about what is great about it and what it works. And the infographic itself is super useful if you are selling products or services – the Science of Pricing has some surprising facts and tips for you to be aware of!
- 3 Powerful Reasons for Creating Your Own Images on Social Media – if you are not creating images for your business and starting to include images in your social media strategy then this post will have you not only thinking more about it, but excited to get started!
- 3 Steps to Kickstart Your Facebook Engagement in Less Time [Infographic] – the content of this post is not so much about visual social media but it includes an infographic – and I wanted to use this as a way of encouraging you to start creating content in different ways. This infographic was not produced by our design team, it was produced by me using Canva in the very early release of Canva before everyone else got in on Beta. It was my test – could I produce an infographic from scratch using this amazing tool. Answer? Yes. Start playing with Canva, people!
- Using Images on Facebook – 3 Ways to Create & Track Engaging Content – some inventive ways to use images within groups and on your Facebook Page to not only create content, but call your community to action and give them a way of finding content easily…by anchoring it to an image!
- Are Your Facebook Posts Getting Shared? 4 Words You Need to Know – 4 words you need to know and remember if you want to get more shares on Facebook. It’s really simple. But when you add it to your engagement strategy, it can bring in some amazing results for you…something very important at the moment when Facebook is dropping their organic reach.
- Social Media Content Creation – 3 Easy Ways to Use Screen Shots – I love screenshots. They are one of the most simple ways to create great content. You will love the potential of screenshots too after reading this post!
- How to get Viral Facebook Shares – and Why This is the Wrong Question to Ask – Yes this is the wrong question to ask, but surprisingly there are a few ways that you can definitely “up” your chances of getting quality shares on your Facebook page…and remember, the “share” is the Holy Grail of Engagement – it’s your people sharing your content with their people…and so on. Here are 3 simple ways you can increase your chances of this happening…even a little.
- http://sociallysorted.com.au/anthill-top-100-cool-company-list-2013/Antill Top 100 Cool Company LIst and Why it Rocks to Be On It – this is less about me being listed and more about the tips in this post!
- Canva Makes Image Creation Easy – New Design Tool for Visual Content – this one is simple. I love Canva. You will too.
Phew. I am sure you will get some awesomely actionable visual social media tips out of this list. Heck, I am even excited to go back and try a few things after reviewing this lot.
What’s your favourite tip or strategy from these posts? Or your favourite post? Leave a comment below!
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- Beginner’s Guide to Creating Images for Social Media [Infographic] - December 2, 2016
- Your Best Year in 2017 – 3 Steps to Setting Content Goals - November 22, 2016
- 7 Quick Blogging Tips – How to Power Up Your Traffic - November 13, 2016