Content Creation has changed. Everyone is a potential content creator – with a smartphone in their pocket. Especially Visual Content.
These 3 Mobile Apps give you the ability to create killer visual content – by producing awesome images, in real-time, on-the-go.
Just two years ago we were reliant on high-end programs like photoshop (or paying a designer) to create beautiful visual content to post across social media channels.
Times have changed.
Now you, your team (and your clients!) can create content using intuitive apps, with amazing typography and image creation tools…all on your mobile phone.
So let’s take a look at some of the apps I am using right now to easily create content using image & text combinations. I have posted about great mobile Apps like Over before – now it’s time for some new ones!
Think you don’t have the time or creativity to create amazing visual content? Think again!
3 Killer Apps for Visual Content Creation
#1 WordSwag App
You may have heard me sing the praises (obsessively) of WordSwag App in the last few weeks. You can read more about it here (check out Takeaway #7). At Social Media Marketing World, 2014 (#SMMW14) I showcased how versatile and intuitive this little app is.
It literally lets you take any tip, text or quote, add a source and boom – you have a savvy-designed, shareable piece of visual content.
WordSwag is pre-populated with awesome templates that literally let you create image + text images that look like a designer has played a part in their creation – when all along, it was just you, an iPhone and an app!
Here is WordSwag on Instagram:
Want an example of how easy it is to create images with WordSwag? I raved about the app recently in my Facebook Group for Create Traffic Driving Images. One of my members, Health & Business Coach, Kylie Patchett, proceeded to jump straight in and create this image, quipping “Love it!! Here’s mine in under 3min and still in bed!”
Of course I couldn’t resist and replied with this…which, as promised, I presented at Social Media Marketing World:
Do you think the audience got excited when I posted these slides? Heck yeah! They actually clapped and cheered. That’s how excited we get about tools that save us time AND create great images.
Download WordSwag and start playing with it. You will be making images like this in no time:
Enough said – grab WordSwag from the App Store – get busy and create awesome images!
Ideal for: Instagram or Facebook. This App makes images in square shape – but the images will also post well to other platforms.
What I like:
- Awesome typography templates come with the app, but you can buy extras if you wish, for a minimal outlay.
- You have the option to upload images from your camera roll or take photos from within WordSwag.
- It’s easy to use – just jump in and start creating.
- The app comes with some cool starter images/background, and allows you to easily choose font colours.
- It’s just cool. I have not met one person who was introduced to WordSwag who has not become addicted to it. I refer you again to #7 of this article to see how this plays out.
ANDROID USERS: Before you get upset with me after you come back disappointed from the app store, yes, I am sorry to say that this app is only available on an iPhone at present. Many creative apps do seem to be iPhone-only (at least initially) as companies wait to get the funds to release an Android Version. My best advice: get an old iPhone from someone who doesn’t want it anymore and use it for image creation using WiFi. It is worth it for the time it will save you. When it was just you, an iPhone and an app.
I have been using InstaQuote for a while and it was my “on-the-go” choice of App before I discovered WordSwag. It is great for creating Instagram-ready images. In InstaQuote’s own words: “make your words beautiful and then share them on Instagram”.
Here is a screen shot from the App in iTunes:
Ideal for: Instagram and sharing to Facebook as well.
What I like: Although InstaQuote doesn’t have the range of typography and templates that WordSwag has, I still like it for its simplicity. You can bang out a quote quickly and easily – and it has some pretty cool font types and backgrounds. Being able to upload your own images also helps!
“Everyone is a visual content creator with a smartphone in their pocket” – Tweet This!
#3 A Beautiful Mess
I discovered A Beautiful Mess a while back and it is a handy addition to your portable image-creation arsenal!
What I like about this app is that it includes a lot of hand-drawn doodles from the creators, so it can add a casual style to your images. Again, you can upload your own backgrounds and you can also purchase further design packs from the app store. It’s available for both iPhone and Android.
Here are some example designs from the “A Beautiful Mess” website:
Bonus App (Watch this space):
I have to thank my friend and smart social media expert Kim Garst for discovering designer Rhonna Farrer’s photo editing app. It allows you to create text + image designs that are …well pretty amazing.
I say “watch this space” as this app is licenced only for “personal” use so be careful about using it to market your business – personal use on your Facebook Page or Instagram account in your own name may be ok – but avoid using it on your website or business profiles unless you contact the developer about a Limited-Use Commercial Licence.
This app is different to Word Swag in that it allows you to do a lot more custom design using hundreds of smaller components or templates and functions (there are a lot of captions, catch phrases and inspirational words). It is a full photo editing app, with many components that you can change and customize.
The app takes a little more time to get used to – especially if you are creating custom images, but it is worth playing with as the typography and icons are SO beautiful – and it is jam packed with options.
If you really run out of ideas you can purchase more designs. Or if you want simplicity you can choose to just use some of the pre-populated phrases or icons like this:
What I like:
- It’s available on iPhone and Android!
- It has a wonderland of design options. It might take you longer to use than an App like WordSwag (if you don’t just go with one icon or design and you combine more than one) but it’s worth it.
- What I really like is the ability to create custom sizes – you are not restricted to square for Instagram or Facebook and there are Pinterest-ready templates (2:3 aspect ratio). The size templates are a big “win” for me with this app. However, again, you need to be aware of the licencing restrictions as to what you are creating the content for – personal or business use. Please check their T&C’s before proceeding.
- The app also includes:
- There are awesome video tutorials for using the App – so check them out here.
You can download Rhonna Designs in the iTunes App Store for $1.99.
Now you have no excuse to not start creating your own original, shareable images, right? Tell me in the comments below – what App is your favourite for creating images on the go?
Latest posts by Donna Moritz (see all)
- 5 Creative Instagram Accounts that will Blow Your Mind - September 28, 2016
- 19 Easy Ways to Survey Your Audience and Crush it with Content - September 24, 2016
- How to Set up Rich Pins on Pinterest in Just 5 minutes - September 16, 2016